Home / cross-roads-08-20-2017-e-edition /

Cross Roads 08 20 2017 E Edition - Page 1

Volume 28 @ Number 9 @ August 20, 2017 @ $15 per Year

Page 5

Culp: Loving Your Neighbor

Page 7

School Spotligh resumes: Lexington Catholic High

Visit Cross Roads on Facebook CR Online: Digital.CrossRoadsCatholic.com

Turn to Missionaries , Page 8 Turn to St. Mark , Page 9

3R DPLACE- B E S T IN -DE PTHA N A L Y S IS IN SPANISH 2016

The Bi-Weekly Publication of The Catholic Diocese of Lexington

Reprinted with permission from Catholic Extension. Copyright 2017. www.catho- licextension.org. JACKSON. When you hear the word "mis- sionary," what comes to mind? Often when we hear of a missionary, we imag- ine priests wearing long black robes and traveling through the remote areas of Af- rica or Asia on foot, or people who are far from home, carrying a Bible in one hand and knocking on doors, trying to evan- gelize others. But missionaries come from all walks of life. In fact, Pope Francis re- minds us that we are all called in some way to be missionary disciples, bringing God's message of love and mercy to all

Young missionary couple leads parish in Appalachia

Josh and Ellen Salmi van Cleef at Holy Cross in Jackson. Photo: Cath- olic Extension Magazine

those whom we encounter. As we travel to the mission dioceses, we at Catholic Extension often meet those who are living out their call to be mission- aries, serving on the pe- ripheries. Some are serv- ing as missionaries right in their own hometown. Others hear the call to leave home, to serve as missionaries in a new place. Two people who are doing just that are Josh van Cleef and Ellen Salmi van Cleef. Josh and Ellen recent- ly arrived at Holy Cross Church in Jack- son. It is there that Josh and Ellen are now sharing the job of Director of Parish Life. They are responsible for all aspects of the leadership and management of the church in the absence of a full-time priest. Josh is originally from the Detroit area. After college, Josh spent time in ministry on a Native American reservation in Ari- zona, before going back to school at Cath- olic Theological Union in Chicago. It was there that he met Ellen, who after spending time in Africa as a missionary, also was pursuing a theology degree. Josh says that he and Ellen were discerning whether to pursue their Ph.D.s, but they heard God calling them to do missionary work instead. They talked about a lot of different places that they might go, and RICHMOND. Bishop John Stowe, O.F.M. Conv., celebrated a Mass marking the sesquicentennial of St. Mark Parish, Richmond, July 23. The celebration feted the 150th year of the parish, which was erected in 1867 by Coving- ton Bishop George A. Carroll. The first Mass in Richmond was celebrated by Father Stephen T. Badin, the first priest ordained in the United States, about 1809. Fr. Badin served Catholics in Canada and the territories that became Illinois, Indiana, Ken- tucky, Michigan, and Ohio. Subsequently numerous cir- cuit-riding priests visited the area

St. Mark, Richmond, celebrates 150th jubilee

Bishop John Stowe celebrated St. Mark's 150th jubilee Mass with current pastor, Fr. Tom Farrell (left) and previous pastor Fr. Jim Sichko (right). Photo provided

to celebrate Mass at the Madison County Courthouse or in the homes of local Catholics. In 1853, the community at Richmond be- gan to be served by priests from Lexington and Mount Sterling. On Oct. 1, 1860, the congrega- tioin purchased a lot on North Second Street and the house on the property was renovated as a church. In 1865, the Second Street property was sold and the present lot on West Main Street was purchased. A frame church was built there and dedicated to St. Mark. Bishop Carroll dedi- cated the church in 1867. In 1874, Father Michael Cal- laghan was appointed the first resident pastor of the parish. While Father William Punch was celebrating All Souls' Day Mass in 1906, the frame church caught fire and burned to the ground. On December 13, 1908, Bishop Camillus Maes of Cov- ington dedicated a new stone church. Father John F. O'Dwyer was appointed pastor in 1910, and a new rectory was built the following year. On September 15, 1930, Fa- ther Oscar L. Poole was appoint- ed pastor. In January, 1941, yet another fire damaged the interi- or of the church, which was then extensively renovated. In the in- terim, Masses were celebrated in

Next Page